I used to hate fennel as a kid. But I only had it cooked not raw 🙂
Now I adore it in salads (it’s a natural diuretic and great slimming veggie) especially combined with apples. They’re like culinary soul mates!
Photography and Recipe by Ndoema
Raw Vegan Fennel & Apple Salad
- 1 head of fennel
- 3 apples
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of minced red onion
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce
- Dash of celtic salt
- Slice the romaine lettuce into bite size pieces.
- Thinly slice the fennel and apples with a mandoline slicer (I loooove this toy!) and add to the lettuce along with the onion, lemon, vinegar, olive oil and celtic salt.
- Toss well.
- You can also marinate the fennel in lemon juice (with a little red onion) for an hour or two before serving to soften the crunch (which I adore:) and develop the flavor.
- Most of the time I will add some fresh herbs, like dill or thyme and occasionally toss in a few walnuts.