Photography and Recipe by Ndoema
Here’s a hearty, tasty and healthy recipe for mushroom lovers and juicy burger aficionados.
This “no-bun” burger is so delish, you won’t miss the gluten-laden bread and other health-harming standard burger trimmings. I swear.
It’s not only gluten-free, it’s also totally raw, vegan (of course) and deliciously oil-free. This is as clean cuisine as it gets. But bien sûr, you can easily amp up the decadence with a generous serving of raw vegan mayo (get the amazing recipe in A Week’s Worth of Raw Dressings). What’s particularly awesome about this veggie burger, besides the wonderful flavor, is that it requires no dehydration. Perfect for instant gratification!
Raw Vegan Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- 2 cups of raw sunflower seeds (soaked overnight and drained)
- 1/2 cup of chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of Celtic Salt
- 1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes (oil free and salt free)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup of minced red onion
- 1 spring of fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 portobello mushrooms (marinated for thirty minutes in raw coconut aminos or wheat-free soy sauce with crushed garlic and dried thyme and marjoram)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 slices of red onion
- 2 slices of red bell pepper
- 2 leaves of curly kale or romaine lettuce
- Dijon mustard
- First place the Portobello mushrooms in a glass pyrex and add the raw coconut aminos or wheat-free soy sauce, the garlic and the herbs. Let the mushrooms marinate while you make the veggie burger patties.
- Place the sunflower seeds, chopped bell pepper, carrots, sundried tomatoes, minced onion, garlic, lemon, salt and herbs in a food processor using the “S” blade. Pulse until you achieve a thick and sticky consistency.
- I like to use stainless steel round food molds to shape my veggie burger patties. Refrigerate your veggie burgers until you’re ready to serve.
- When you’re ready for your feast, assemble your mushroom burgers.
- Layer your mushroom buns with a slice of red onion, four slices of Roma tomatoes and a slice of red bell pepper. Add your veggie burger patty and finish up with some Dijon mustard and some leafy greens.
- Bon Appétit!